Determination is sticking to your health/ fitness plan when you really don’t feel like it, it is getting out of your bed when you don’t want to, when it is cold and raining outside, and putting your trainers on and going for a run.
That was me last Tuesday morning. I actually surprised myself, I can be pretty driven and hard on myself, but other times I am too soft and with things like going for a run I make excuses, tell myself I need more sleep, don’t have time etc etc. But it hit me that morning when I was feeling pleased (smug maybe) with myself for making it out and was enjoying the fresh air and refreshing rain as I ran through it, it reminded me that this is your ‘edge’, these are the times that you need to push through, that make the pros stand out from the amateurs, the successes over the (I use this word tentatively) ‘failures’. They draw out those that will always excel in life, because they continued to show up, they kept trying, against the odds, against the stuff that tries to put up a wall against your dreams, they push through it.
Below are a few things, in my opinion, which help towards building determination, and ultimately leading to success in whatever way that means for you:
- Music helps.
- Exercise helps.
- Building good mental habits and practising positivity every single day helps.
- Meeting new inspiring people.
- Trying new things and building your confidence.
- Picking yourself up when things don’t go your way.
- Fighting back.
- Writing down small steps towards bigger goals and sticking to them.
- Being kind to yourself.
- Being hard on yourself.
- Faith in yourself.
- Keeping going when others don’t.
- Focusing on what IS working rather than dwelling on what isn’t/ didn’t.
- (More) perseverance.
- Doing it for the right reasons.
- Straight up hard work.
- Will power.
What is going to make you stand out from the crowd, and take it a step further to achieve the success that you want?
Hope you are feeling a little more motivated after this fairly brief post!